My secret little past time … shhhh
Look, confession time, I’m a people watcher!
Just putting it out there, I’m a little bit addicted to people watching.
It’s a pastime that could whisk me away from reality for hours on end, if only I had the availability of time to let it.
People honestly intrigue me. I love observing outfits and hairdos and shoes and body art and mannerisms. I also love watching interactions (but no, not that kind, no voyuerism here thanks!) and I’m mesmerised by the way people communicate – couples, friends, families and even those poor lost souls who mutter to themselves. I wonder what people are thinking, where they’re going and where they’re on their way from. What are they planning for dinner tonight, and is their heart alive and singing today?
I’ll let you know that I think the key to successful people watching is being able to fly under the radar and remaining incognito, heaven forbid you get caught and then accused of staring, how rude!! Besides, it’d probably be hard to explain the difference between observation and ogling to someone not into the game and I really do prefer my lights not to be punched out.
People watching is not about feeling superior to others or judging them; more than anything, you’re a non-judgmental observer with a penchant for unearthing life’s stories as an art of love and empathy.
For me, people watching celebrates diversity and humanity. Here’s my approach:
- pick a place with diverse characters – shopping centres and sporting events are prime people watching locations
- be un-obtrusive, un-obvious and remain un-noticed. Sunglasses, maybe, but just remember they’re not so cool indoors!
- team your watching with lunch or a good coffee for the ultimate observation experience
- people watch with a friend – two sets of eyes are always better than one and a good debrief makes the hobby twice as fun
- pay attention, look for subtleties and let your imagination roam.
- remember the golden rules of open-mindedness and empathy
Would you like to take up this hobby too, or are you already practiced in the sport?
People watching is my secret little past time … shhhh
It’s Tuesday and we know that means IBOT.
You can find it over at the purely awsome Essentially Jess!
Have you linked up today?